Work placements and Internships
Our vision at First News is simple…
'To create a world where young people are actively engaged in the issues affecting their daily lives and the news shaping the society they live in. A world where the voice of the next generation is valued.'
Given our real commitment to children and their future, we believe in giving you the opportunity to spend time in an office gaining valuable work experience. We have therefore created a scheme whereby, every summer, we offer 4 two-week work placements and we have just set up an internship scheme where we will take 2 students every year.
We are a small, entrepreneurial company (there are only 23 of us) and we're based in Southwark, London (just near The Shard and Borough Market) in our lovely new and open plan office. It's a busy, noisy but exciting environment, which we all love.
As you can imagine, we receive a vast amount of work placement requests here at First News so here is what we offer and how you can apply!
- We offer 2 internships across the year.
- Applicants must be 18+
- We offer a minimum of 1 month and up to 3 months for internships.
- Internship dates are flexible (dependent on what work projects are available at First News).
The ideal candidate for an editorial intern at First News would be a proactive and highly literate person, with excellent writing, research and proofreading ability. While no prior experience is required, we would ideally like to see evidence of a passion for working in publishing and an understanding of what interests children.
First News is a dynamic and fast-growing company and, along with day-to-day admin duties, our editorial intern will be sure to get some valuable experience and exciting opportunities, from writing stories for the website and weekly newspaper and working on special projects to attending events and conducting interviews.
To apply for a First News internship please email your cover letter, detailing why you want to work for First News, and CV to email@example.com
- We offer 4 work placements over the year (across the different departments depending on where there is work to be done).
- Applicants must be 18+
- We offer a minimum of 1 week and up to 4 weeks for work placements.
- We offer work placements during the summer period only: May – August.
- Work placements are non-paid.
- We accept work placement applications from January – March.
If you are interested in applying for a work placement at First News please fill out our application form below.