Join in - Things to do

Thursday, 20 December 2012

Your 2012 Highlights

By CJones

AT First News, we’ve been chatting about our favourite stories of 2012 for weeks.

Of course, we all loved London 2012. It was great to cover the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Britain, charting the success of our incredible athletes. The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee was pretty special too, with millions of people across the UK celebrating the incredible work of our amazing monarch.

Let’s not forget the other important stories of the year, though. The war in Syria has been getting worse, and President Obama was re-elected as American leader. These might not be personal highlights for many people, but they will go down in the history books.

What have been your favourite moments of 2012? What are your hopes for 2013? Let us know below!

What do you think? Leave a comment below to let us know!

Please note: All comments are moderated before they go live.
Offensive comments will not be published.

Did you like this? Why not give it a Thumbs Up!

27 Thumbs Up!

Give this article a Thumbs Up! by logging in
to your account or
registering here.

• Bunnycat (Age 16) wrote on Thursday, 20 December 2012 @ 18:05

My fave bits of 2012...well I have to say I wasn't that thrilled with the whole Olympics and Jubilee thing, perhaps the Jubilee was ok but the rest kind of left me cold, maybe that's just me being an un-patriotic person...in so far as stuff in the news...hmmm. Does fave bits of 2012 mean personal stuff or famous stuff??

• Bunnycat (Age 16) wrote on Thursday, 20 December 2012 @ 18:11

For 2013; well for starters I hope Malala gets the Nobel peace prize, I hope that Assad will back down and all the fighting in Syria and the Phillipines and suchlike will end, that Scottish Wildcat numbers will increase and they can start building the Wildcat Haven, that I can cross-stitch as many Chinese Zodiac animals as I can before February...:D

• Chirpychic (Age 12) wrote on Thursday, 20 December 2012 @ 19:40

My favourite moment of 2012 is the Olympics and if I could choose one event it would be mo farah winning 10000 I was literally screaming on the last lap!! My hopes for 2013 is that the war in Syria will get better actually for it to stop altogether

• Rachelxx (Age 14) wrote on Friday, 21 December 2012 @ 09:16

Th Olympics, Paralympics and Diamond Jubilee

• Laurakat1 (Age 17) wrote on Friday, 21 December 2012 @ 17:16

What everyone else has said! The Olympics and Paralympics was truly amazing! :)

• Beckii (Age 14) wrote on Saturday, 22 December 2012 @ 18:34

The diamond jubilee, Olympics and Paralympics of course, national day of prayer Ann's for next year, Syria's urgent leader will back down, Malala to get the Nobel Peace prize and another great year basically!!

• CandyEllz (Age 13) wrote on Tuesday, 25 December 2012 @ 16:25

Not the jubilee, but the Olympics:)

• umbrella02 (Age 12) wrote on Thursday, 27 December 2012 @ 21:41

2012 has been a great,fantastic,entertaining and successful year for not only Britain but also for other countries in the world, however there has been many chaos including'THE WORLD'S GOING TO END'

• PinkBoden (Age 16) wrote on Monday, 31 December 2012 @ 20:56

I loved the Jubilee and I was in London for some of it. I loved the Olympics and Paralympics loads though. My Olympic highlights were the cycling and rowing, particularly Victoria Pendleton winning the Keirin, Lizzie Armitstead coming second in the womens' road race and Helen Glover and Heather Stanning in the rowing. For the Paralympics I loved Oscar Pistorius in the athletics. I met Peter Wilson who won the double trap shooting in the Olympics so that was a highlight of my year. The announcement of the Royal baby was definitely a highlight of my year too but I think my personal highlight was meeting the cast of Made in Chelsea on 28th May at Live in Chelsea! :)

• naturegirl (Age 13) wrote on Wednesday, 2 January 2013 @ 14:54

My favourite part of 2012 was the olympics and the queen's jubilee

• flutterfly (Age 11) wrote on Thursday, 3 January 2013 @ 18:18

diamond jubilee,olympics and the news of a royal baby!

• DJ123 (Age 14) wrote on Friday, 4 January 2013 @ 19:51

Mine was Gangnam Style. It was such a hit. Amazing!

• Diamond63 (Age 13) wrote on Saturday, 5 January 2013 @ 15:23

My favourite part of 2012 was the Olympics. I saw Nicola Adams, a female boxer, win GOLD!!!!

• gummybear (Age 12) wrote on Monday, 7 January 2013 @ 11:19

I loved the Paralympics considering I was there to watch most of it. I have met Jonnie Peacock and enjoyed watching him get gold. I don't think any year in the whole of my life will beat this year. I will never forget it.

• bigfoot2 (Age 13) wrote on Monday, 7 January 2013 @ 12:43

THE OLYMPICS!!!!!!!! David Rudisha in the 800m

• LuLuBoo (Age 13) wrote on Saturday, 12 January 2013 @ 18:03

Favourite things of 2012 1. Gangnam Style 2. School play

• GirlAbroad (Age 14) wrote on Saturday, 12 January 2013 @ 20:22

Probaby....well, I think the Olympic Closing Ceremony! I loved it

• tiger4321 (Age 9) wrote on Friday, 18 January 2013 @ 19:16

Cool mine Is seeing my puppy

• Merls (Age 14) wrote on Monday, 21 January 2013 @ 20:26

My favourite part of 2012 was at the Olympic opening ceremony when the 5 Olympic Rings joined together and the whole country was holding its breath. Also on the one show a few days later, I saw a couple on the tv, and the man had proposed when the rings had just joined together, it was very romantic!

• millieboo2 (Age 12) wrote on Monday, 21 January 2013 @ 20:38

I loved the Olympic Opening and Closing Ceremonies, I saw the Hockey and the Handball live in London :D I love all 1Ds new songs, especially Little Things and Kiss You! And Gangnam Style is amazing! I developed a crush on Niall Horan (lol) and overall, 2012 was awesome!

• Prunnie (Age 12) wrote on Monday, 28 January 2013 @ 16:52

I'm not really sure because I can't exactly remember many things but it would probably climbing a special mountain in Ireland for the first time and the Olympic opening ceremony was pretty good too, even though I didn't watch the rest of the olympics

• Prunnie (Age 12) wrote on Monday, 28 January 2013 @ 16:53

My hopes for 2013 is probably war ending in parts of the world and people getting on together more

• 09AhmedA (Age 16) wrote on Saturday, 2 February 2013 @ 15:53

olympics and paralympics

First News Bulletin

Download Video: MP4 OGG

Subscribe today to the award-winning weekly newspaper for young people, with over a million readers.

First News Plus

First News Plus

Download our free augmented reality video app today and use it with the weekly paper!
See the videos >

Download the app

First Vote

Should 16 and 17 year olds be alllowed to vote?

> Register your school's referendum result
> Find out more